Respect, according to Webster’s Dictionary refers to: A relation to or concern with something usually specified.
This writer’s meaning of Respect for this article is: A relationship for all to show concern for others and/or to show decency for others rights and belongings and or their thoughts and beliefs. Things said or done to another person to promote honor to the general character of another person is preferable to anything said or done that is rude or demoralizing. In general it is the act of being nice to others, showing honor towards others, their personal rights and belongings.
This article applies to every parent in particular and to all people in every walk of life for their lifetime here on earth. It was not this writer’s intent to say that there is no one already doing these things but is a reminder to all about remembering about respect for others. It was also not this writer’s thought or belief that originated these thoughts this wisdom comes straight from God.
I respectfully ask for the patience of the school teachers and administrators as I use their trade as an example. At the beginning of school at the very first class wouldn’t it be nice if the teacher could get on a respectful plane with the students and gain their respect. Please bear in mind their job would be much easier and more likely to come to fruition if parents would teach their children the meaning of respect and demand it from them. Here are some things anyone at home or in the workplace might consider doing and saying:
- Give a big smile and welcome everyone to the class or workplace .
- At some point go out of your way to explain that it his or her desire to show respect and that he/she expects each individual to show respect back. Also that each person or student is expected to show respect to every other person or child or teacher.
- A teacher should inform the class that respect for one another will help them get to a level so they can get to use their full physical and mental abilities to learn and to earn a living and to get along in society physically, mentally and socially.
- Explain to those in the work place and the students that respect for one another is the basic ingredient for not only getting along in society with others but to be able to get others to listen to your thoughts and ideas and give back the respect you would really like to have shown to you.
- Explain to them that if they are not respectful then they are rebellious and that self-inflicted rebelliousness only leads to traits that others see as undesirable and could lead to them being treated as troublemakers or let go from a job.
- Explain to the students that it is one thing to make a mistake that causes disrespect to another person either mentally or physically and then say you are sorry and ask for their forgiveness but is entirely another thing to do nothing about it to show you are sorry and/or to show further disrespect. This not only shows immaturity but rudeness and is the total opposite of showing respect. It will only allow others to see you as you are and to distance themselves from you.
- Explain that a better choice as soon as one realizes he or she has shown disrespect to someone else’s physical or mental nature, that it would be best for the person committing the disrespect to readily admit their mistake, apologize and ask the harmed party for their forgiveness. This builds the proper character of the individual causing the disrespect and shows others that they are attempting to be respectful even though they have made a mistake. It also provides an opportunity for others to observe and look up to them for their respectful actions and for the one causing the disrespect to gain back their honor and respect for being a person who shows goodness.
- God will be happy with a person who repents and shows respect for his brothers and for God.
These are not things that the supervisor, workers, teacher, or students do not know about but should be spoken of frequently because it brings about truth and good qualities in life. Respect is one of the best ingredients of a individual’s life. It is just an understanding that should be brought up and agreed upon in the workplace or by a teacher and his/her class in the beginning to give a teacher and/or a student who makes a mistake in being disrespectful a way to gain back their self esteem and righteousness as a good person after having made a mistake. If a worker or a student does this then the supervisor or teacher should commend the student for admitting his mistake, for apologizing and for being respectful. It just simply builds good character and goodness in anyone. In their working life it may be the difference of getting a great job or a lesser job, getting promoted or being passed over or being looked up to as a leader or not.
It is no different in daily life than in the classroom, turmoil exists only when respect is not shown or given. You might say that turmoil is caused by the lack of respect for others.
As far as this writer knows there is nothing wrong with teaching respect in a public school or in a workplace. Respect can only improve every situation and possibly prevent not only unkindness but possibly prevent a 911 call.
It is this old writer’s hope that the business owners and supervisors, the school superintendents, the school boards, the principals and all other school personnel will get on board with showing and teaching respect in each and every school house and classroom from the lowest levels to the highest. The word RESPECT could either line the hallways or be placed at the appropriate places for all to see and remind them of one of life’s most revered attributes.
Yes, this should be taught in the home but often it just does not get done. Think of it this way, if respect is taught in every classroom it might just find its way home or continue to live on in the student’s life. If taught, it could over time make a whole lot of lives less tense and possibly give way too many smiles and good attitudes. It would certainly improve school discipline as well as community relations.
Parents a nice size sign on the refrigerator door saying ‘remember to give respect’ would go a long way for everyone and keep the idea alive in everyone’s mind. Respect could only help all situations at home and outside the home. Explain to your children about respect and give respect to them and demand respect from them.
Yeppers, this old writer was raised in a distant past when children that did not respect their elders could expect a sharp reprimand. Also the child’s parents might also be sharply reprimanded by the grandparents for raising such a disrespectful child. There was no “yes” or “no” or “uh-huh”, it was simply “yes Sir” or “no Sir” and “yes Mam” or “no Mam”. Disrespect in any way was just not tolerated. Of course that was before TV and electronic gadgets infiltrated the family and the children’s parents became more interested in making a faster living or having to work 2 or more jobs to exist and were less interested in a better upraising for their children. It is not anything new to say that “how your children are raised is a reflection on the parents’. Love for your children is very much needed but love without respect does not the righteous child make.
So now, I can relate to the younger generations and that if you truly want respectful children that from early on they be taught at home and hopefully in school and in the religious community that disrespect is very wrong and leads to bad or very bad attitudes and eventually an unloving or rebellious child. Only respect can lead to righteousness and gain the tolerance and love from others that we all really and truthfully want, need and that God requires.
Remember the lack of respect can lead to rebelliousness, rebelliousness can lead to Godlessness, Godlessness can and has led to our country’s and the world’s major problems yesterday and today.
From one old respectful sinner to all my beloved children, friends, neighbors, and community “when you plant the seed of respect and water its vines you will reap the fruit of its success.” Note: this comes from the Teacher who caused to be written the one and only book that is true and inerrant.
God is testing us every day and has given us the right to make our own choices. Do you know which ones are the right choices in Gods mind?
I pray for the studying, exhorting, and application of Your word by Your children.
Fear God, love God, honor God, and trust God with all your heart, mind and soul and you will receive and experience the joy of the promises of God’s blessings in His time
Prayer: Father in heaven, hallowed is Thy Name. I praise You for Your Son and the Holy Spirit. I praise You for Your grace in sending us Your wisdom about the “Respect for Others.” I praise You for Your caring, Your loving kindness, and Your generosity. Only Your graciousness and love could forgive the sins of mankind and still allow him to become a Son of Yours. Please bless those who have read this article for they too seek Your righteous truth, Your understanding and Your love.
May God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit and Christianity be our guiding lights, our safety nets and our inspiration for loving happiness in all of Your kingdom. Let it be Your will Lord not mine. Please come Lord Jesus.
I pray in Jesus sweet name and to His glory through the power of the Holy Spirit,